06 December 2006

To answer a few questions raised....

"I'm sure you missed stuff in your first year of your first degree, and whilst to you it's all old hat, lots of these people are drinking heavily and experiencing independence for the first time." Matthew

...Actually I didn't. If I had a group session the following day I either wouldn't be out drinking the night before, or drinking very lightly/soft drinks only, and having an earlyish night. But then again why should I bother to care anymore, the rest of my year thinks it's acceptable. Our PBL and team work structure here relies on the TEAM as a whole. If you don't turn up or turn up drunk or hungover you're no use to anyone.

"If you don't fuck up and miss PBL or other group work (I missed about 5 PBLs last year, and 1 this year through hangovers - admittedly this year all my pbls have been in the afternoon) then you're a better man than most of us." Matthew

Woman actually, but I know what you mean. And no, the only PBLs I've missed this year were due to a sick family member in Yorkshire that I had to go and see. Slightly more serious than a self-inflicted hangover and I still felt guilty about missing it.

"I for one would put the burden of the first step on grads, in Freshers week, when they're are 18 year olds who've done nothing like this before, you have a reference point, you will clearly be less nervous, and hence if you are willing to come out and talk to them then, you'll probably find you don't get so segregated later." Matthew

I did go out in fresher's week. I went out a lot. But I appreciate that I only went out because I'm 23 years old and knew no-one. I don't have family here and I don't have friends here. Personally, my friends here range from 18 to 45 and I don't really see a difference between them, but many people do. My personal favourites at the moment are the 'wannabe grads'. The beautiful clique of 2 or 3 grads and a 'tagger on' who likes everyone to think that they're a grad because they took a couple of years out and the grad in question is cool. Very worrying.

"there are some people on my course too whom I look at and think, "And you want to be a doctor someday??"" Calavera

We have an alarming amount of those people on my course. People who turn up to important sessions with actors (where we were told to dress as on placement) in jeans and t-shirts, boobs a-stray and thong flashing. People who regularly skip mandatory stuff because they're too up themselves to attend, and are; 'so, like, Oh My God - I'm at university now. Isn't that just the place to have a good time?'

"the work was a bit of a chore but ultimately rewarding because it's what I wanted to do." Hospital Phoenix

I'm seriously beginning to doubt if it is what I want to do. Hence why I'm not getting any satisfaction from it. I didn't expect an easy ride here, but I feel we're being pushed too hard too fast, and if I'm struggling now, what's it going to be like in 2, 3, 4 years time? Sink or swim I suppose.

"Take a break over Christmas and you'll feel a lot better." Gerry

I'd love to my dear, but I simply can't afford to. I have exams to revise for, OSCE's to sort and a job to hold down. I can't afford to not work and I can't afford to be picky about shifts so I have to take anything and everything on offer.
I also have a grandmother to keep an eye on and regularly visit now she's recuperating at home at last.

---------------------------------

Matthew, this wasn't a rant at you I promise, but your long comment brought a lot of issues forward to be raised. Thank you for that !

7 comments:

Sarah said...

On scruffy dressers...

I once did an end of project presentation with a boy who thought smart was tucking in the shirt he'd worn all week!

Anonymous said...

Chin up :)

Lola Cherry Cola said...

Meh, even I wasn't that bad a student first time round either. I've missed a few lectures in my time, but nothing that required group input. Hope all is going well.

Phoenix said...

Merys, if it's really that bad that you're thinking you might not want to do it long term, you should probably consider speaking with someone you trust within the medical school. A tutor you get on well with, or a designated study director who'll keep things confidential?

Having followed your blog, I think you have what it takes, and it'd be a shame to lose you. But I don't know you in real life and your last few postings have sounded a little more worrying.

If you feel like having a rant at someone fairly anonymous, my email inbox is always open. And of course you have a blog, where you can rant to your heart's content!

Mat said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

On my degree courses, I've found that the slackers, such as you describe, have usually given up by the end of the first year. Perhaps it will be the same for you? I hope so, for your sake, because it is mighty irritating while they're still there.

Calavera said...

"We have an alarming amount of those people on my course. People who turn up to important sessions with actors (where we were told to dress as on placement) in jeans and t-shirts, boobs a-stray and thong flashing. People who regularly skip mandatory stuff because they're too up themselves to attend, and are; 'so, like, Oh My God - I'm at university now. Isn't that just the place to have a good time?'"

Won't you just TELL ME ABOUT IT. This is a whole separate rant in its own right.

Merys, keep working hard. You can do it, this is just a rough patch. Hospital Phoenix, fear not, Merys aint goin' NOWHERE!

:D