04 February 2009

Doctor speak

They say throughout medical school that learning to speak like a doctor is hard. It's trying to talk in a manner which feels very alien at first - not dissimilar to learning a foreign language.

Instead of clotting we speak of coagulation, we can't speak of drugs to thin the blood, we call them anticoagulants. Not the eye, it's the globe in anatomical terms. 

The problem being it's really screwing up my sleep pattern. 

Well, I say my sleep pattern. I'm quite oblivious, but my other half is getting a bit fed up with being woken up by me muttering medical stuff in my sleep. Apparently it's drug names and syndromes at the moment. 

I have no idea if what I'm saying is true, medically correct or even makes sense, but it doesn't surprise me - after all, I have been here before...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Best bit is, after you qualify you get to use 'tummy' and 'a bit poorly' again, often in complete seriousness...

Anonymous said...

My favourites have to be :
1) Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography

and

2)Transvenous intrahepatic porto-systemic shunt

I love long words!. Sad I know, but its a remanent from my nursing days

The Shrink said...

You have a "sleep pattern" eh? No no no, medics do better than that . . . don't you mean it's screwing with your sleep architecture and stage IV deep (refreshing) sleep? ;-)