06 January 2007

Review of 2006 - October to December

October gave my 23rd birthday, and I began feeling like a real old fart on my course, surrounded my 18 and 19 year olds, and older than those who had taken a degree by a year due to my MSc. At least I'm not the oldest one in my year by a long way....

I found a new bar job which I love with all my heart. I'm working again in the Student Union building serving hand pulled ale and enjoying the company of the regulars. It's a little less loud than my previous SU bar, but I can cope, and I'm very lucky to have the job! (I'm also allowed to drink while I'm at work, and gain free entry to any events on the night I work, which is a nice perk.)

October doesn't stand out as an astonishingly interesting month, although I did have a lot of back problems until I persuaded the university to provide me with an orthopedic mattress.

November saw me driving a longer distance than I have ever done before, and doing more motorway driving as well. I've never had the opportunity to drive motorways very much as there aren't that many in my area of Yorkshire, so the M25 was a pleasant challenge, and not the giant car park I was expecting.

I did some GP out of hours shadowing in November, getting adopted by an ECP who later gave me the option of shadowing her alone during a normal week (but that's an entire post to itself...). I looked in countless ears, eyes and throats, and even at a 28 year old male's haemorrhoids (poor bloke) just for the benefit of gaining patient centred experience. I don't regret giving up my weekend for it though.

December gave the end of the first semester at my new university, more work shadowing in my own time, and lots and lots of homework.

I returned home to work at the leisure centre again, and had a lovely family christmas, with only a few arguments.

I also got my first appraisal from my tutors, and apart from being told I'm a little too gobby, all was good. I have no idea what they were talking about with regards to the 'gobby' thing, but I guess it's my northern-ness in a southern city. I'm sure I can cope.

Stuff that happened but I can't remember when

· Graduation from my Masters. Nice ceremony, much more fun than my BSc, and with better robes this time and a better speaker.

· A little operation under a general anaesthetic (I was absolutely bricking it before they put me under, and I demanded EMLA for my hands before they cannulated me!)

· Seeing my first dead body, then my second, and then my first 'preserved' one at university. Fresh is best!

· Meeting someone at this university who reads my blog and having a coffee and lunch. That was slightly odd to say the least. (please don’t comment on this post)

· Realising that a couple of people have rumbled me….

Music of my year - my most played songs from the month they were added to iTunes. These songs still illicit strong feelings and memories of the time I got them...

January - Ai no corrida - Uniting Nations
When the sun goes down - Arctic Monkeys

February - No tomorrow - Orson
Sugar, we're going down - Fall Out Boy
Sewn - The Feeling

March - I write sins, not tragedies - Panic! At The Disco

April - NHS Song - Amateur Transplants
Naive - The Kooks

May - Steady as she goes - The Raconteurs
Blackbird - The Beatles
Feeling good - Muse

June - I wish I was a punk rocker (with flowers in my hair) - Sandi Thom
Let me go - 3 doors down
Country girl - Primal Scream

July - Hips don't lie - Shakira
Iris - Goo Goo Dolls
Valerie - The Zutons

August - I don't feel like dancing - The Scissor Sisters (also prominent in Sept)
Starlight - Muse

September - LDN - Lily Allen
Chelsea Dagger - The Fratellis

October - Love it when you call - The Feeling
Call me when you're sober - Evanescence
Wecome to the black parade - My Chemical Romance

November - Jenny don't be hasty - Paolo Nutini
Rehab - Amy Winehouse

December - Rewind - Paolo Nutini
Wind it up - Gwen Stefani

No comments: