01 October 2007

Fazed

I'm tired and grumpy. I've worked 3 night shifts in a row and was back at uni in the early afternoon today.

In fact, I was so grotty today that I picked a fight with a little old lady. She started it to be fair. Going around hitting my bike because it's in your way won't get you very far. Perhaps saying 'excuse me' would?

Anyway, I digress.

I'm getting a little fazed by the whole 'auxiliary' thing. I'm getting frustrated by the physical aspect of it all.

My shoulders have been pulled, and are now regularly aching and spasming. I've been punched, kicked, spat at, scratched, had my hair and uniform pulled, and generally been abused. All of this by people over the age of 65.

I sometimes feel we're failing the patients. I feel rough and cruel, and almost inhuman with it all sometimes. I do things that the patients are confused about, mainly down to personal hygiene. But I feel I'm being a bully. I guess it all comes down to mental competence at the end of the day.

That, and I'm tired.

6 comments:

Nurse Sandra May said...

At least when you are a doctor you won't have to deal with all that anymore.

You can leave it to the nurses instead...

Elaine said...

Oh yes, Faith has it right, but don't forget when you are a doctor what it like for these poor b@@@@y nurses.

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure whether you've been really unlucky with the patient's that you've had, or I've been extremely lucky with the ones that I've had. I can't actually even remember getting any verbal abuse.

I hope you've recovered though after the night shifts, it takes a while to get back into the 'day' swing of things I feel. Hope your enjoying being back at Uni!

TP

Anonymous said...

Did you win the fight with the littel old lady?

;-)

MB said...

I used to feel so nasty when restraining the patients, I worried so much that I would be hurting them! It sounds as though you need a break to re-coup, take care of yourself merys!

Penny Pincher said...

Feeling tired brings out the worst in us..
I feel a right bitch today and have had a bit of a bitch on my blog tonight ..

http://colyfordcross.blogspot.com/2007/10/irritability-can-be-contagious.html

I think I might feel a bit better for it??

Caring in any form when tired and under stress is hard. Take care..