10 May 2012

Who knows best?

I know that the days have passed where doctors know the best for their patients, but I am so bloody fed up of relatives shouting at me. I have had over a month now of relatives yelling at me because I'm on the ward and know the patient in question. Sometimes you just can't win- I've been yelled at because we were still investigating the cause of an illness, and then also yelled at (sometimes by the same person) for solving the problem (or at least identifying it) and trying to discharge the patient. The problem is that although the relatives know the patient infinitely better than I do, they don't understand the disease (usually). On the plus side, my communication skills have got better, as have my instincts about when to get out of the way or call security!

No comments: