29 January 2010

Things I don’t want to do this year…

Go on elective.

Well, that's a lie. And due to the nature of my elective there is a possibility that the people I'm doing my elective with may well be reading this.

To clarify, I DO want to do my elective, and I am very grateful for you for accepting me.

Plans have changed. I was meant to be going to Jamaica but I cancelled it. For my own reasons, both financial and personal I didn't feel it would be feasible. I budgeted my elective as costing somewhere in the region of £4000, and that covers my rent for my accommodation while I will be away. I just can't do it.

People have suggested to me (on here) that the UK is a perfectly good destination for electives, so I started thinking a bit more. A lot of students in my year are staying in the UK, so there is no real pressure for me to head to far flung shores, plus I was getting seriously concerned about the prospect of spending 8 weeks abroad and having a 'black dog episode', without much support.

Needless to say I will be staying here. My elective is being split into two four-week placements, and you never know, I may well be coming to a place near you….

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well if you actually are coming to a place near me, let me know :)

Anonymous said...

I stayed in the UK for my elective last year and didn't regret it at all!