07 April 2009

Night shift syndrome

It's the easter holidays now, which can mean only one thing. With no OSCE looming after the vacation, and only one assignment and one piece of PBL to do, both of which are mostly done, it's time to work my little arse off at the hospital doing night shift after night shift.

I've also recommenced days at the outdoor pursuits centre, which raised some eyebrows as I think they thought I'd quit. Being unwell for nearly 6 months combined with very cold weather does not make for an amazingly good idea. 

Tonight is my first proper night shift on the ENT ward, and I'm not that fazed by it. I quite like the ward and the majority of the patients are independent and can get themselves out to the bathroom etc*

That being said, I'm quite looking forward to it. Tomorrow night may be completely different. I'm 'specialling' a patient who has falls from bed a lot, and I could spend a lot of my night fighting them. 



*expect a post later saying that all hell has let loose....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I find "specialling" fun (though never heard it described as that before). Best bit of HCAing for me, no need to do all the worst bits for the worst patients, just got to sit and chat with one patient and/or read a book while they lie still for a while. I could put up with the occasionally (five minutely?) wrestle for that! :D