17 May 2008

Adoptive mothers

You would think that having one mother would be enough for me... but no. I appear to have acquired a whole ward's worth of them on the medical assessment unit.

After a normal day at uni, I had received a phone call from the staff bank saying that MAU was desperate and I knew what I was doing on there, so was there any way I could do a few hours.

We compromised at 19.00 - 02.00 - a half night shift. Suits me, and it's better than nothing for them.

The night turned out beautifully. All my 10PM observations were done by 10.20PM, the patients all tucked up in bed.

Melissa and I decided to teach each other our local languages, which turned out to be interesting swapping Yorkshire for Filipino! I now know how to say 'mate' and 'idiot/stupid'. In turn, I taught her to say she was 'off to t'pub'.

At which point the shift was pretty much over, and I discovered that I seem to have acquired a few staff nurse friends who seem to mother the poor medical student.

When I cycled home just now I was under strict instructions to phone the ward and tell one of the staff nurses that I'd arrived home safely and hadn't been beaten up! Bless her, it's like having my own mother awake at this time of the day to check on me.

3 comments:

Lucy said...

My boyfriend actually goes one step further and just says "off t'pub"...took a bit of getting used to as i'm from Southampton!

This entry definitely made me giggle :)

Just thought i'd comment and also (sorry to go off topic!) but could you tell me roughly how long the pendant part of your coral necklace is? I'd love to buy it with my own student loan but *big* jewellery doesn't tend to suit me. Thanks.

The Little Medic said...

Big up the yorkshire accent. woooo

Dragonfly said...

Good to have such a supportive environment.